So it’s a new year and for the tail end of 2012 I neglected my weekly radio ahow at radioactiveinternational.org Hopefully the technical difficulties that ensued in December have now been ironed out and I will be able to get the show up every Saturday for 9 pm. I playeed a mixture of old and new for this weeks show – playlist and reasons as follows
1. the evens – Competing with the till I’ve just got the new evens album and am delighted by how good it sounds. this needs to be shared
2. fawn spots Spanish Glass Best 7″ for me last year was this record by the fawn spots on the excellent Louder Than War label
3. American Steel – Love And Logic I always enjoy singing along to American Steel and this Song gets my loudest chant ‘Destroy their future before it kills us’ indeed
4. Los Fastidios – Cruelty Free One of the best live bands of 2012, vegan anti-fascist and diy and proud. What more could you want
5. The Membranes – Time Warp 1991 I am forever being accused of being stuck in a Time Warp – well before 1991 I’m afraid. The membranse turned me on to active diy and I’m delighted to see their names back on bills for gigs again.
6. Black Cougar Shock Unit We Don’t have a nail big enough for Peter Lorre I have great memories of Black Cougar Shock Unit playing in Dublin – not last year but it only feels that recent. I also picked up some great stuff from Dave at newest Industry recently so wanna share this
7. Duncan Redmonds – Romford Now a star of BBC Radio 6 Sean Forbes is guest vocals on this along with Duncan from Snuff playing Drums and telling us what they really think of the beautiful pictureque village of Romford. Sean is the skinhead leader of Hard Skin (well one of three hard leaders) who have a new album out soon – one for 2013 eh?
8. Jawbreaker – Chemistry Jawbreaker – what more can I say?
9. Flies on You – Slashing it Down One of the albums of 2012, with the great Nerve Rack bass sound of 1987
10. Ginger Wildheart – Internal Radio I saw Ginger play an acoustic gig in August – I knew nothing about him and was enthralled by the audience singalong.
11. Joe Solo – We’re All Gay Joe came over to Dublin as part of Lithium Joe in the 90’s. He’s now playig solo and kicking against the pricks in 2012 with new songs every week
12. The Ruts – In A Rut Best live band of the year for me – I was amazed when I saw these in Rebellion
13. Paranoid Visions – Outsider Artist Irish album of the year – this is their collabaration with TV Smith
14. the evens – Architects Sleep Wanted to finish on a high note, the baritone guitar doesn’t go too high but this really is a great album.